About Greyhound Network News

Greyhound Network News is an eight- page newsletter published out of Phoenix, Arizona since 1992.  The newsletter was founded in response to the killing field discovered in January 1992 in Chandler Heights, Arizona.  More than 140 racing greyhounds had been shot to death and their ears cut off to  prevent identification.  Their bodies were found where they fell, strewn over 300 acres of an abandoned orchard.

GNN is a 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit Arizona corporation and operates on an all-volunteer basis. The newsletter is distributed free of charge to anyone interested in the issue of greyhound welfare and the future of dog racing in the United States and its recent spread to Third World countries.

Greyhound Network News is distributed via first-class mail to individuals and greyhound rescue and advocacy organizations in all 50 states and to a growing international readership in 20 foreign countries. Please note that the publication and distribution of GNN depends upon the contributions of its readers to offset publishing and mailing costs.

GNN is now available online in its original format including photographs.

For the love of greyhounds, Joan Eidinger, Editor & Publisher

          Tucson, Arizona:  The Arizona Daily Star reported today that eight greyhounds died in early September, likely of heat exhaustion, while being hauled across the country to Arizona, according to documents from the Arizona Department of Racing.  The haulers, Lonnie and Jamie Boyle, were recently suspended for 30 days and fined $500 each for failing to properly care for 27 greyhounds during the move.  The eight greyhounds likely died near El Paso, documents show.  The couple traveled throughTucson with the dead dogs, but never stopped at Tucson Greyhound Park to look into veterinary care for the surviving dogs, according to the documents.

            Lonnie Boyle told Arizona Department of Racing investigators he and his wife were driving from Oklahoma City to a farm outside of Phoenix in early September, according to reports.  For the most part, he said they stopped to check on the dogs every four hours, as the state’s administrative code outlines.  Boyle claimed a rainstorm kept him from checking on the dogs during one stretch, but the investigator saw no evidence of any severe weather.  Also, the stated drive times did not support the Boyles’ story, the report says. 

“The evidence does not support that they drove through severe rainstorms,” the report states.  “However, evidence does show hot weather and high humidity, which is a factor in the death of the dogs.”

Source: TheArizona Daily Star: Josh Brodesky